This lesson bank is an archive of the lessons submitted by UTeach Makers as part of their Maker Showcase. This page also includes some of the documents used in the planning process. These STEM lessons were designed by teachers and, as with anything we make, they are a work in progress. These posts are intended to provide creative ideas, resources, and thoughts about improvement and redesign for others interested in classroom making. The files provide an overview of the lessons and a link to the Maker Showcase for each maker where more detailed lesson plans and materials are housed. The hope is that these lessons will inspire other Maker educators to try out similar ideas and continue to improve on these early iterations. Happy Making!
All work and products of UTeach Maker are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
MAKER-CENTERED INSTRUCTION FAQs
This MCI FAQ list was generated as part of the 2019 Austin Maker Faire Educators Summit. It has a list of responses to commonly asked questions about making in schools and is a good resource for anyone getting started.
MAKER LESSON PLANNING FORMS
PUBLISHED MAKER LESSONS AND PLANNING TOOLS
Rodriguez, S., Morrison, A.W., & Benfield P. (2019). Pulley Islands: A tinkering challenge. Science and Children, 56(8), 27-34.
Lowery, K., Rodriguez, S., & Benfield P. (2019). Making in The Middle: Making as a Performance Task.Science Scope, 42(7), 78-86.
Rodriguez, S., Allen, K, Harron, J., & Qadri, A. (2019) Making and the 5E Learning Cycle. The Science Teacher, 86(5), 48-55.
Rodriguez, S., Harron, J., Fletcher, S., & Spock, H. (2018). Elements of making: A framework to support making in the science classroom.The Science Teacher, 85(2), 24-30.
Rodriguez, S., Harron, J., Benfield, P., & Reyes, M. (2018). Illuminating Food Webs: A maker jigsaw. Science Scope, 42(1), 57-64.
IDEAS FOR MAKER LESSONS
MAKER-CENTERED LESSONS FROM UTEACH MAKER FELLOWS
- Collaborative Paper Quilt - Miriam Reyes.pdf (Bio)
- Designing A Water Museum - Hannah Spock.pdf (Chem)
- Egg-olution - Paige Arneson.pdf (Bio)
- Crashing Into Momentum - Abdulkarim Bora.pdf (Physics)
- Living Sculpture - Krystal Evans.pdf (Math)
- Let's Make Soap - Ayesha Qadri.pdf (Chem)
- The Cells and Me - Kira Lowery.pdf (Life Sci)
- Making MIndfulness - Susan McLain.pdf (General/SEL)
- Virus and Bacteria Multi-modal Books - Maisha Rumman.pdf (Bio)
- A Twist in the Marble Run - Arami Rosales.pdf (Physics)
- Quadratic Storytelling - Mao Leonard.pdf (Math)
- Pythagorean Theorem in Design - Amy Gross.pdf (Math)
- Bringing Cells to Life- Helena Castle.pdf (Life Science)
MAKER WEEKEND WORKSHOP SERIES LESSONS (w/ St. Edwards University - Funded by The Powell Foundation)
- Absolutely Beautiful Mosiac Project- Aminadab Morales (Math)
- Art Through Transformations- Niaz Azeez (Math)
- Build Your World- Christina Hull (MS Science)
- Engineering Capstone- Arami Rosales (Engineering)
- Symbiosis Flip Books- Maisha Rumman (Biology)
- Maker Body Systems- Helena Castle (Life Science)
- Periodic Trends in 3D- Phillips Adebayo (Chem)