4. Maker Community: The purpose of this section is to illustrate that Making is an activity that occurs within complex communities. Making involves links to a wide array of people that bring diverse expertise and perspectives. These community networks support the connection to Making to a larger social context and provide productive pathways for learning
To meet the expectations for this section, candidates are expected to:
- Provided documentation of engagement with the broader maker community. This engagement may be in person or virtual. This should include some activities beyond the required cohort meetings.
- Documented a volunteer or leadership role in at least one maker event or program.
- Shared reflections on issues of equity, diversity, and access as it relates to the maker program or event they are involved with.
- Reflections are connected to their maker philosophy and their UTeach experience.
Maker Community Resources:
- Austin MakerEd Meetup
- co.lab - A community support makerspace in Austin, TX
- Maker Faire - Inspiration from Makers from the original Faire in the Bay area and all over the world. You’ll be blown away by what humans are creating.
- Maker Faire: Austin - Austin is also home to a Maker Faire. Typically held in early May. Be sure you attend. You’ll see first hand so many projects and meet a great community of Makers eager to share their stories and encourage you along your own Maker path.
- Austin Tinkering School - Looking for an amazing example of what kids can do when given freedom, stop by Austin Tinkering School. A wide range of ages are encouraged to invent, be messy, explore, fail, and grow in a safe and fun setting. You’ll be blown away with what such young people can create when adults get out of the way!
- ATX Hackerspace
- SX Create - Part of SXSW’s annual festival, Create is a free, and open to the public, showcase for Makers and companies that work in Maker focused arenas. It’s a great place to get exposure to the Maker community.
- Thinkery – Austin's hands-on, science-based children's museum.